Green Symbolizes the Earth, Agriculture, Fertility

There is a reason why green is one of the prevalent colours in African flags along with red and yellow (Pan Africanist Colours). Green stands for the richness and fertility of the African soil which is not only rich in nutrients and mineral but also in precious metals and stones. I have been trying to locate the statistics regarding the plant species found in Africa and so far I only have the figure for South Africa which is 10%. 

This is mind blowing if you take into account the size of Africa, South Africa is only a tiny part of the continent and one that has been highly developed. For such a small part to hold so much, one can only imagine what the figures will be if we took into account the rest of Africa. In case you are wondering my babbling is leading to something, that as Africans we really need to look at our own backyard for alternative natural solutions to our modern ailments. Let's not look down on our remedies just because they are not packaged in an easy to swallow capsule. 

I will be the first one to admit that trying to understand the different properties of the many herbs, spices and species can seem mind boggling. At the same time it forces us to really take responsibility for our own health and what we put in our bodies. You only have one body, one life, is it not worth the effort? Even the prescription drugs that we so willingly ingest are full of harmful ingredients that can cause severe side effects and allergic reactions. 

I'm the first one to admit that this is not going to be easy people. I don't pretend to have all the answers or even have this all figured out but as name of the blog shows this is a journey and I have only just started taking baby steps towards going natural. I don't expect to achieve my goal overnight but one things I know is that with each step I take I get closer to it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kwamhlabuyalingana

The Amazing African Cranberry Juice Concentrate